Time Exchange Project
It's About Time!
A New Chicago West Side
The Time Exchange Project offers a simple approach to solving the big problems of our time (like crime and jobs disappearing). Big problems that stem from lack of money and social isolation.
- Run programs
- Raise funds and expand your base of support (asking for hours and/or dollars)
- Strengthen applications for grants and public dollars (eg, dollars received can be used to stimulate time exchanges)
- Healthcare (blood pressure, home remedies, homeopathy, nutrition, growing food)
- Safety & security
- Leadership (organizing, planning, passing on wisdom)
- Traditional skills (sewing, cooking, fixing, story-telling)
- Caring (for oneself & one’s things, and for neighbors and community)
Bring time exchanges to your church or organization.
It's free and makes us less dependent on scarce dollars.
Need more info? –
- See an article about us on Occupy.comr — "For Economic Justice, Is It Time for Time Exchange?"
- Time exchanges (often called TimeBanks) are a worldwide phenomenon.
Many of our big problems - locally & nationally - are caused by money. Eg, poverty, jobs disappearing, environment, and growing inequality.
Money is also a simple, pragmatic solution, but a new (and ancient) money based on time.
Here's how it works. When I help you for an hour, I credit my account for that hour and debit yours. The hour I just earned helping you I can spend by asking someone to help me. The hour you owe you can clear by helping someone.
We are organizing time exchanges within churches, not-for-profits, and umbrella...
Jobs disappearing and crime have ravaged Chicago’s West Side. Lack of money is a key cause of the devastation.
By funding programs (like tutoring, sports, and providing meals), time exchanges offer a simple yet profound way to solve urgent problems and revitalize...
Watch the video to see a detailed description of how timebanking was used with remarkable results in a neighborhood where a Black gang and an Hispanic gang were at each other's throats.
Please join us at our 2nd Annual INDOOR Holiday Impromptu Tennis Party, Sat., Dec. 19th, 5:00 to 8:00 pm.
- Membership at the tennis club is not required and you are welcome to bring guests.
- $15/person for two hours of tennis + pizza time.
- Location: Tennis & Fitness Center, 301 Lake St (at Ridgeland), Oak Park. (708) 386-2175.
We’ll have round robins where everyone plays everyone else.
If you like, you can also play pickleball. You can rent the...
They were warm summer days In the Austin neighborhood of the Chicago west side.
Circle Urban Ministries' Afterschool program wanted to introduce tennis to 14 of their kids.
Rather than scarce dollars, we used time exchange. Each parent or guardian "paid" 2 hours of time for their child to participate in the program. 14 children times 2 hours...
“Try it, you’ll like it! “ Develop strategies to increase the use of TimeBanking: It’s time for us to use the many wonderful assets of all residents, increasing sharing of unmet needs and unused resources. A time bank can help us do that.
A time bank is a tool that matches individuals who have something to share (which is everyone) with individuals and organizations that have needs.
Join us to explore the assets and needs in OPRF that can be matched through TimeBanking and encourage residents to try it.