(last modified 2/18/2014)
Information You Provide to Us.
OurVillageLife (OVL) allows you to create a personal profile and submit information (name, email, profile image, photos (or video), your social media links (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn...) and to write a personal biography. Businesses (non-profits, organizations etc) provide the same information, but may also include their website address, business location and hours, logo, and a business description. However, no business advertisements are allowed. If you're using OVL on your mobile device, you can also choose to provide us with location data.
Communications with Other Members.
OVL offers several ways to communicate with fellow members and to share Content (as defined in the Terms of Agreement). Some of these communications are visible to the entire village i.e. posts on any village bulletin board page and posts in any open group. Other communications such as messages between you and an individual member, may be visible only to other members who belong to the same closed group, or to an individual member, that you send a private email message to via OVL.
When you "like" and comment on a post, you create a connection to that post. For example, if a friend posts a Public story and you comment on it, your comment will be Public. You may be contacted by or receive updates from the post, such as on your profile and your private messages. You can remove the posts you've "liked" through your profile.
Whenever you post content (like a profile update, photo or what’s on your mind status), you can select a specific audience: a village bulleting board (i.e. Oak Park or Chicago), a group (i.e. running club or peace action), or use a simple category tag (i.e learning or sports). Choosing to make something public is exactly what it sounds like. It means that anyone, including people off of OVL, will be able to see or access it. As with all forms of social media, although you choose with whom you share, there may be ways for others to determine information about you.
Connections and Interactions with other Members
You are solely responsible for your interactions with other Members. OVL may limit the number of connections you may have to other members and may, in certain circumstances, prohibit you from contacting other members through use of the Services or otherwise limit your use of the Services. OVL reserves the right, but has no obligation, to monitor disputes between you and other members and to restrict, suspend, or close your account if OVL determines, in our sole discretion, that doing so is necessary to enforce this Agreement. Members have the right to extend an invitation to “connect” with other non-minor members that they don’t know unlike Facebook. The recipient of the connection invitation has the right to accept or decline this invitation.
Third Party Offers.
We do not turn over your personally identifiable information to third party marketers.
You can delete or cancel your profile at any time. Alternatively, you can delete most types of individual Content items that you posted to OVL. Deleting your account will delete all Content you provided, except that we may choose to retain Content incorporated into the bulletin board’s conversations; and we may attribute that Content to your name even after you depart the site.
Information We Collect Automatically
We automatically collect information about your visits to our website and your interaction with our email, including the browser you are using, the URLs you came from and go to, your computer's operating system, your IP address, and usage and browsing habits. We use this information to diagnose and resolve server problems, analyze trends, track member movement in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information.
Like most websites, our website uses "cookies," small data files stored on your computer which include a unique identifier. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies. You can configure your browser to reject cookies, but doing so will prevent you from logging into our website.
We also use the information we collect to send you updates such as when certain activity (like posts, uploads or comments) happens on OVL that may be of interest to you. You are okay with us providing you with important notices on the website, mobile apps, or email. The contact information you provide must be accurate or you may not receive important notices.
For purposes of service messages and notices about the Services, OVL may place a banner notice across its pages to alert you to certain changes such as modifications to this Agreement. Alternatively, notice may consist of an email from OVL to an email address associated with your account, even if we have other contact information. Please review your Settings to control what kind of messages you receive from OVL. You acknowledge and agree that we shall have no liability associated with or arising from your failure to do so maintain accurate contact or other information, including, but not limited to, your failure to receive critical information about the Service.
Choices you have.
Our goal is to give you simple and meaningful choices over your information. If you have a OVL account, many of the choices you have on OVL are built directly in to the website or your profile settings. For example, you can:
• Access and change information in your profile page at any time, and choose whether your profile page is available to search engines;
• Link or unlink your OVL account from an account on another service (e.g., Facebook or Twitter). For some services (like Facebook), you can also choose whether or not to publish your activity on OVL to that service;
• You may have choices available to you through the device or software you use to access OVL. For example:
• The browser you use may provide you with the ability to control cookies or other types of local data storage;
• Your mobile device may provide you with choices around how and whether location or other data is shared with us. To learn more about these choices, please see the information provided by the device or software provider.
If we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation or legal request; to protect the safety, rights, or property of the public, any person, or OVL; or to detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
We may engage in a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, reorganization, or similar transaction or proceeding that involves the transfer of the information described in this Policy.
OVL is not directed to children under 18. If you learn that your minor child has provided us with personal information without your consent, please contact us immediately.
Information We Get About You From Third Parties.
Government Relations and Lawsuits.
We may disclose data about you to the government if we are required to do so or as we think is prudent for safety or security reasons; and you authorize us to make these disclosures. We may also disclose data about you in connection with actual or potential legal proceedings (a) in response to judicial or other government subpoenas, warrants or orders, (b) if we are required to do so in other ways, (c) if such disclosures might mitigate our liability, or (d) to enforce our rights.
Limits on Our Abilities.
While we work hard to respect your privacy, like any other complex web service, we might inadvertently use or disclose your data in ways inconsistent with this statement. For example, a temporary software glitch could lead to public display of your personal data despite your contrary preferences.
Subject to any mandatory obligations to delete data, we may choose to retain information in our server logs, our databases and our records indefinitely.
To enhance the security of your interactions with the site, OVL uses https on its web pages to prevent unauthorized interception of your communications during your site visits and takes measures to protect passwords from unauthorized access. We also use a variety of security measures to protect your information in our databases. However, perfect security does not exist on the Internet.
OVL Groups give members a place to meet, interact, and share ideas with each other. Just like a real community, you may have different opinions than other OVL Groups members. The OVL Groups experience is best when people remember a few rules. OVL sets out the terms and conditions of your use of our services in the OVL Terms of Service, our Guidelines, and in our Manifesto. For your use of OVL Groups, some of the key things to remember are:
• You may not harass, abuse, threaten, or advocate violence against other members or individuals or groups.
• You may not post content that is harmful to minors. You may not harass, abuse, threaten, or advocate violence against other members or individuals or groups.
• You may not post content that is harmful to minors.
• You may not post content that is obscene, otherwise objectionable, or in violation of federal or state law.
• When you respond to a Group email, you are considered a non-published OVL Group member. Once you post a comment or click on a members profile for example, you will then automatically become a publish member of OVL. At this time, you will be presented with a prompt and welcome message where you can either accept membership to OVL or decline membership and therefore not be able to post a comment on your Groups bulletin board
• Stay on topic. If you constantly stray from the topic you may be moderated or removed from a group altogether by its administrator or if you post off topic commercial messages you may violate our Spam Policy and we may take appropriate action, which may include removing you from the group and/or terminating your access to the OVL site.
• When you join a public Group, you are automatically accepted as a member of that Group. All member names are visible in a public Group. Your email address will be connected to the Groups email address on OVL.
• If you join a private Group, the Group administrator will contact you shortly with an acceptance email which includes an introduction to the group, discussion tips, guidelines, etc.
• Once you become a published member, your connections will only be visible to those members with whom you are connected to.
• You may not add members to a group without their permission. Usually the Group administrator will invite members when initially setting up the Group, or approved members can invite their friends and connections to join.
• You may use OVL Groups for commercial purposes in the following limited manner: a) to discuss with or promote to your Group members other businesses that sell legitimate products or services offline or on a site other than Groups; or b) to facilitate a listing or exchange of legitimate products and services between Group members.
• In any case where OVL Groups may be used commercially as permitted by these Guidelines, OVL is not a party to such transactions, makes no representation or endorsement of any product or service, and is not responsible in any manner for the services or the fees imposed for such services, including customer care or refunds.
• You agree that any dispute between you (as the buyer or seller of a product or service) and another party with whom you interact as a result of a Group post does not involve OVL and you hereby release OVL from any claims and agree to indemnify OVL from any claims based on your acts or omissions.
• Many laws and regulations in various jurisdictions regulate the types of goods and services bought, sold, or exchanged in those juriisdictions, as well as the manner in which they are bought, sold, or exchanged. If you post an item for sale, you are responsible for complying with such laws and regulations.
• You may not post content which infringes the intellectual property, privacy or other rights of third parties.
• Some content may be more appropriate in some contexts than others. OVL reserves the right to remove content that it determines, in its sole discretion, to be inappropriate and in violation of our rules.
• You may not use Groups solely for the purpose of storing and archiving files.
• You may not post content, including software downloads, or collect fees in violation of the export control laws and regulations of the United States or other applicable countries.
If you are unsure whether your content is consistent with these policies, please err on the side of caution and do not post your content in OVL Groups or any other OVL bulletin board.
OVL's Right To Terminate
OVL Groups, in its sole discretion, may terminate or remove any content, Group or your profile immediately and without notice if (a) OVL believes that you have acted inconsistently with the spirit or the mission of the site, or (b) OVL believes you have violated or tried to violate the rights of others. Please help us keep OVL Groups an enjoyable and positive experience. If you see a Group or content that violates our rules, please let us know by contacting us.
How OVL Uses Your Personal Information
This policy covers how OVL treats personal information that we collect and receive. When you register we ask for your name, email address, and that you upload an image to be used on your profile. We also encourage you to enhance your member profile by including: personal links, recommendations, making connections, joining groups, listing your occupation & industry, and personal interests.
OVL automatically receives and records information from your computer and browser, including your IP address, OVL cookie information, software, and hardware attributes.
OVL uses information for the following general purposes: to customize the content you see, improve our services, contact you, and to conduct research.
OVL Groups offers communications and community tools, including email discussion & group email, a message archive, bulletin baords, file sharing, and photo albums, which allow you to post or display personally identifiable information about yourself. To create a OVL Group or take advantage of web-based features of OVL Groups, you must be a registered OVL member. To join and take part in an email discussion, you do need to register for a OVL account.
Information Sharing and Disclosure Practices
• Messages you email to the group or that you post through the web site for a Group will always include your email address and member name.
• Full headers of all email postings can be seen by anyone accessing the messages through the web site.
• Your full email address will be visible to the administrator(s) of any Group to which you belong.
• In using OVL Groups and its various tools, you may make some of your personal information public. You may also choose to share some of your personal information with other Group members.
• When you share files, post messages, or add links to a Group to which you belong, your name, alias and truncated email address will appear next to the file, message, poll or bookmark on the Groups website.
• Certain information from your OVL Profile may be visible to others such as your name, gender, city, online status and other information that you have chosen to make public.
• If you post personal information online that is accessible to the public, you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties in return.
Practices Regarding Your Ability to Update or Delete Information
• If you are a Group owner, you can edit or delete any posting or member in your Group. You can also completely delete your Group at any time. Group owners can also grant moderators the ability to edit or delete postings and members from the Group.
• As a Group member, you can edit your Group memberships and preferences at any time. You can also delete your own messages from a Group.
OurVillageLife, 312 N. Grove Ave, Oak Park IL, 60302 Phone: 708-445-0000. Email: sup[email protected]
- See more at: http://ourvillagelife.com/privacy#sthash.zOlBia63.dpuf